The Church of St. Anthony of Padua is located at the foot hills on which the Velez Castle stands, close to the 16th century temple of St. Andrew. It would have been part of the settlement that formerly surrounded the castle.
The temple is a very simple construction and has undergone numerous refurbishments and alterations over time, particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries, when additions such as a belltower and a vastry were built and repairs were carried out on the transept dome.
During the Spanish Civil War (1936 - 1939) the Baroque alterpiece and some of the alters were destroyed, later being replaced by specially-made copies.
Inside the church, the decoration is impressive and on the main fašade there is a niche containing a statue of the St. Anthony of Padua and it bears the Velez family coat of arms.