Sucina is 29 kilometres from the city of Murcia, situated in the countryside between the Sierras of Altaona, Escalona and Columares and the sea. Although the exact date when Sucina became a village as such is unknown, it was during the 16th and 17th Centuries when this area became populated by farmers and the area began to be cultivated in a consistent manner.
Around 1785 it was recognised as a village and as part of the region of Murcia and at some point between 1820 and 1823 the inhabitants of Sucina were granted the right to have their own Town Hall and Mayor and included in their municipality were the villages of Balsicas, Cañadas de san Pedro, Gea y Truyols, Cabezo de la Plata and Jerónimo y Avileses. However, this situation changed again in 1834, when control was passed back to the Town Hall in Murcia owing to the lack of finance and the long distances between the villages over which Sucina was meant to have control and the logistical problems this created.
Life here was hard, and the people worked constantly in order to harvest their wheat, barley, oats and the important olives. They also kept flocks of sheep and herds of goats and hunted hares, rabbits and wild fowl in order to eke a living from the harsh land. In the mid 19th Century there were about
450 dwellings and it was calculated that around 3.000 people lived in the
area. However, in the 20th Century the population declined as people left to seek a livelihood in the cities and from 1714 people registered in 1960 the figure sunk to 985 in 1991.
Now things are changing again, huge urbanisations are being built in the area. The hot, dry climate and the proximity to the sea and the city of Murcia is attracting many people from northern Europe and the area is growing at arapid rate. New urbanisations are being constructed on the outskirts of the town, making it at least twice its original size.