Mazarron is situated in the south of the Autonomous Community of Murcia, bordering Cartagena and Fuente Alamo to the east, Alhama and Totana to the north, Lorca to the west and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. It encompasses an area of 318.7 km2 and has a population which nowadays surpasses some twenty-nine thousand inhabitants. It’s 25 metres above sea level and 70 km from the capital of the Autonomous Community, Murcia.
Puerto Mazarron was basically the coastal settlement of the town of Mazarron which begun with a few storage sheds for their fishing equipment and boats. Pirate robberies of their belongings made the villagers take it in turns to spend the nights there, keeping watch. In no time whatsoever, Puerto Mazarron became an official settlement as more and more people of the village found it easier to live there.
Its geographical situation within the Mediterranean arch and more specifically, in the so-called Golf of Mazarron, has given it a series of features which have defined its appearance, a result of the diversity of its towns and cultures which have sprung up in the area.
A large amount of archaeological remains coming from Phoenician colonies were found on the beaches of La Isla and Los Gavilanes, the first finding is crucial in underwater archaeology, since from it they have been able to extract part of a Phoenician boat and the extraction of another is foreseen which dates back more than 2,600 years. These remains place Mazarron as a connection point for Phoenician trade in the Mediterranean, between Ebuscus (Ibiza) and Gadir (Cadiz), from where there were probably attracted by existing silver and lead exploitations in this area.
The Kingdom of Murcia conquered in 1243, Mazarron, integrated into Lorca and occupying a border area was faced with a stage of Moorish sacking and raids from Muslims from the Nazar kingdom.
In 1572, thanks to the boom of alum mining which brought with it the settlement of a fixed population around Cabezo de San Critóbal, Puerto Mazarron was conceded by Felipe II the title of town, as such making it an independent township from Lorca.
Towards the end of the 16th Century, the exploitation of alum began to decline, a result of competition from Italian alum, the excessive taxing and the conflicts with England, which led to the prohibition of exporting to these countries which were the main market of Mazarron alum.
Puerto Mazarron is the favourite summer holiday destination of thousands of people who enjoy their summer holidays on our beaches, as well as those who look for relaxing and sunny weekend breaks in winter. Its tourist appeal makes this coastal town the second home for many people from inland Murcia and other parts of Spain as well as a permanent haven for German and English people.
Without a doubt the charm of this town resides in its varied and numerous beaches, 35 kilometres of coast to be exact, of which 10 of them are still virgin and are amazingly beautiful.